Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Worst Thing I've Done

I wonder if blogging about books is not such a good idea after all. I was thinking about whenever someone asks me about a book it takes me like an hour to talk about it...I am not good at summarizing I think. But I will try.
The book I am reading now is The Worst Thing I've Done, by Ursula Hegi. I am about half way through it and it is for sure one of those books that I will tell someone to read (unless it just takes an awful turn for the worse). I think I would describe it at this point as breathtakenly haunting.
It is written in a way that keeps you on your toes because it switches from past to present without giving you any forwarning. The authors writing style flows beautifully.
Okay now for trying to explain the story.
3 children grow up as neighbors, 2 boys one girl. One girl marries boy but all 3 stay friends (ah I am sure you are thinking well this does not sound original) Girl=Annie Boy=Mason Friend Boy=Jake.
Lets throw this into the pot. Annie's pregnant mother and father dies on her wedding night (remember she married Mason) Annie and Mason adopt the child. (Opal)
Okay so Mason also thought that there was some kind of connection with Annie and Jake (he was right...also un-original) He was always very jealous and making offhanded comments to the two. He was also always pissed that Jake was always happiest when he was with HIS family, that everything was laid out for him. Mason felt that he came second to Annie and Opal and Jake came first.
Okay so lets throw this into the mix. One night the 3 were in the sauna. Mason was on the two of them again about their longing for each other and told them to just go ahead and have sex with each other and than he will know that there is nothing between them (ok that really doesnt make sense) Well Annie was pissed and had enough of this. So she just jumps on Jake and they do it.
The next day Mason hangs himself.
Okay so let me also say, you find out that he hangs himself in the begining of the book. You are getting the rest of the story as you go along.
Annie is dealing with his death by driving and listening to talk radio. So far most of the story is in the past. Showing you the relationship that Annie and Mason had and the relationship all 3 of them had and then all 4 of them when Opal came into the mix. You learn about them as people.
I have a feeling I will be finishing this book tonight.
Okay so see I told you I am awful at this. I just re-read this and it is all over the place.
Anyway it is a good book. When I am done I am just going to tell you what I thought about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment